About Me

My photo
I have been married to Dennis for 36 years and we have four great kids...or perhaps I should say our four children are young adults. Both of our sons have music degrees and one is a teacher. The other son has a government job. My daughters have science degrees. One is in nursing and my youngest daughter is a Physical Education teacher. My family is my greatest joy in life and although they have their seperate lives, we often gather together and either celebrate a special occassion or just enjoy each other's company. Both Dennis and I are teachers and even though Dennis is retired, he still is and always will be a teacher at heart. Professionally, both Dennis and I agree one of the most rewarding pleasures is seeing our students grow both academically and as a person.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Social Script and Movie Maker on Day 8

Today was a lot of fun in Education 5173. The class broke into our 'movie making groups' and we continued to work on our Social Script Stories. After discussing a few possible 'struggling school situations' we decided to work on a bathroom issue. Annual and specific goals as well as strategies and assessing methods were developed.
Background information

A grade one girl with autism lacks appropriate socially acceptable behaviors when she enters the washroom. She looks under the bathroom stalls while others are using the facilities. Many children find this upsetting and one child was traumatized by this behavior.
Strategies
  1. Social Script Stories
  2. Social Script Video
  3. Social Script Sentences
  4. Rewards
Script Writing
Beverley, Elizabeth, Jeanette and myself worked on the script, making sure the language was not only appropriate for a six year old but also for a child with special needs. At times we choose words that a six year old child would understand but a child with autism may take a literal meaning to a specific phrase.

Movie Maker
Shooting the film seemed to run smoothly. We knew what we wanted and our group worked together to finish the task.

Clips were cut to rid of unnecessary sections.

Narration- Headphones were inserted into the computer and voice input was placed into our film at appropriate sections within our movie.

Social Sentences and Phrases were placed in the film to help create a stronger learning experience for the child/children.

I don't expect our movie will make it to Oscars but I do feel we did a great job writing our script, filming and editing our movie. Awesome job girls!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your social stories video. I thought your group did a great job and explained the skill really well.

    ReplyDelete