About Me

My photo
I have been married to Dennis for 36 years and we have four great kids...or perhaps I should say our four children are young adults. Both of our sons have music degrees and one is a teacher. The other son has a government job. My daughters have science degrees. One is in nursing and my youngest daughter is a Physical Education teacher. My family is my greatest joy in life and although they have their seperate lives, we often gather together and either celebrate a special occassion or just enjoy each other's company. Both Dennis and I are teachers and even though Dennis is retired, he still is and always will be a teacher at heart. Professionally, both Dennis and I agree one of the most rewarding pleasures is seeing our students grow both academically and as a person.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Communication

When I heard the words of Sue Rubin describe her life before and after the introduction of facilitated communication (a method of communicating her thoughts through typing) it reminded me of my favourite movie 'The Miracle Worker'. In both situations, we see a young girl lost in her disabilities, to the extent that those around her, feel she is severely mentally challenged. She describes herself as a retarded child before she learned to communicate. With the assistance of a supportive family, a close neighbour and a team of support workers Sue soared.
She graduated from high school with honours and is now attending a college. Sue also travels around the United States giving keynote addresses and presentations at Autism Conferences.
Can we deny the importance of communication in the lives of each human being in this world? As an educator, I aspire to meet the challenges of my students in a positive and effective manner. After viewing this video, it reinforces my goals as a teacher of students with special needs.
When communicating we must have:

  • a common language
  • joint attention
  • a communication partner

We as educators must consider the many modes of communication in order to facilitate our students best. A few modes of communication are:

  1. speech
  2. reading
  3. body language
  4. writing (books, magazines, etc.)
  5. e-mail
  6. sign language
  7. gestures
  8. touch
  9. facial expressions
  10. symbols
  11. voice emotions
  12. hair styles
  13. voice intonations
  14. dance
  15. music
  16. eye gaze
  17. physical actions

1 comment: