About Me

My photo
I have been married to Dennis for 36 years and we have four great kids...or perhaps I should say our four children are young adults. Both of our sons have music degrees and one is a teacher. The other son has a government job. My daughters have science degrees. One is in nursing and my youngest daughter is a Physical Education teacher. My family is my greatest joy in life and although they have their seperate lives, we often gather together and either celebrate a special occassion or just enjoy each other's company. Both Dennis and I are teachers and even though Dennis is retired, he still is and always will be a teacher at heart. Professionally, both Dennis and I agree one of the most rewarding pleasures is seeing our students grow both academically and as a person.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Preparation Stories and Movie Maker on Day 7

It was another busy day in Education 5173. Many of us were familiar with social scripts to assist children with autism and developmental disabilities. Scripted stories are great tools for children who may be confused by social situations and have difficulties managing their feelings and emotions. These children often require others to educate them about considering and understanding other's feelings.
The task of the day was not only to develop an appropriate social script but to incorporate it into a video. Surprisingly, things went smoother than I anticipated.
Barb introduced the unit on 'Preparation Stories' and later we were broken into groups. Beverley, Elizabeth, Jennette and myself developed a sample social script and video. The assigned topic related to a girl with autism who spent an inappropriate amount of time looking at a washroom mirror. We felt a sense of accomplishment and developed a good understanding of the required task after the completion of our first video.
We were soon off to write a new social script and develop a video. The topic of our second script and video was again concerning a child with autism and the washroom. This young lady has a habit of looking in the stalls while others are using the washroom. Our task was to develop a script and video which hopefully will correct this socially inappropriate behavior.
A rough draft of the script was written and the video was shot. Again, I was the main character in the second video. If it is posted on YouTube, perhaps I will be discovered. Hollywood here I come!
I was intimidated when I first looked at today's assignment. We have a great group who stay on task and each is dedicated to contributing to the job at hand. It was an enjoyable experience and I look forward to our second video being completed and presented tomorrow.
The safety crossing song is a good resource found in one of my favorite websites: www.do2learn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment