About Me

My photo
I have been married to Dennis for 36 years and we have four great kids...or perhaps I should say our four children are young adults. Both of our sons have music degrees and one is a teacher. The other son has a government job. My daughters have science degrees. One is in nursing and my youngest daughter is a Physical Education teacher. My family is my greatest joy in life and although they have their seperate lives, we often gather together and either celebrate a special occassion or just enjoy each other's company. Both Dennis and I are teachers and even though Dennis is retired, he still is and always will be a teacher at heart. Professionally, both Dennis and I agree one of the most rewarding pleasures is seeing our students grow both academically and as a person.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Case Study Presentations/Day 5

Today our class spent most of the day presenting our iPod communication boards, for the students described in the two assigned case studies. As mentioned in yesterday's blog, our class was broken into two groups and these larger groups were divided into four subgroups. The larger groups collaborated together and developed an IPP appropriate for the child in each of the case studies. Our group worked with Sally while the other group developed a communication board for Charlie.
We started the presentations with the delivery of the case study which was followed by the IPP. Later the smaller groups gave a coherent flow to the project, similar to the program planning that we develop in our schools. The four smaller groups delivered the chosen environment that they developed to be utilized by the primary user.
Time restrictions and lack of exposure to the iPod created challenges for myself and several other students in the class. However, the presentations were both impressive and a rewarding experience. All groups had carefully matched communication messages to the abilities and interests of their user.
Now that I have had the exposure to this equipment and appreciate its use, I am interested in incorporating the iPod into the strategies needed to assist my students.
We spent some time at the iTune store, mainly focusing on the APPs that would be appropriate for special needs students. Again, this was another new experience for me but it should be enjoyable browsing through the many applications appropriate for our special needs students. I am looking forward to being an 'APP Detective' and learning from my classmates investigations and the treasures they uncover at the iTunes Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment