About Me

My photo
I have been married to Dennis for 36 years and we have four great kids...or perhaps I should say our four children are young adults. Both of our sons have music degrees and one is a teacher. The other son has a government job. My daughters have science degrees. One is in nursing and my youngest daughter is a Physical Education teacher. My family is my greatest joy in life and although they have their seperate lives, we often gather together and either celebrate a special occassion or just enjoy each other's company. Both Dennis and I are teachers and even though Dennis is retired, he still is and always will be a teacher at heart. Professionally, both Dennis and I agree one of the most rewarding pleasures is seeing our students grow both academically and as a person.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Shopping at the Dollar Store on Day 6

On day 6 we visited a dollar store in New Minas and we purchased many items. Jeanette and I searched the shelves for items we could possibly adapt to the needs in our classrooms. I was very pleased with the items I purchased. Here is a list of a few of the items I purchased:

Item

Adapted use

Applied classroom use

Sticky notes

Used as cues to later retell a story.

One of my students is a strong decoder but struggles with comprehension. After reading a paragraph or two, I ask her to give me a word or phrase that was important within that text. I place the page number in the corner of the note. Later I line the notes up in order and she is able to retell the story.

Plate display easel

Easel to hold a book.

When reading, some students struggle to hold a book and read.

6” clip for stack of papers

Used to hold open book pages.

When reading, some students struggle to hold a book and read.

Disney cold pack

Stress reliever like a stress ball

A girl who loves to fidget with various items all day could use this as a stress ball. It is deep pink in colour and it has a Disney princess stamped on one side. It should be appealing and age appropriate for our little “Learning Centre Princess”.

Magnet basket advertised for lockers

Used as a pencil, markers, erasers holder.

1. Place on white boards to hold markers.

2. Place on student's desk to hold pencils, markers, etc.

Felt board

Visual story telling board.

The felt items are large and colourful. It will be great for a low verbal child to retell an experience, such as a fun weekend camping trip.

Floating puzzle

Easy grasp puzzles for children with fine motor co-ordination issues.

The puzzle pieces are large and have raised animal figures. These pieces would be easy to grasp and place together.

Wipe clean alphabet letter book

Practice writing letters of the alphabet book.

Dot to dot display of letters for students struggling with the formation of the letters. The wipe clean feature allows us to reuse it in the Learning centre.

Counting money book

Recognizing and counting money.

This booklet's features are:

1. Canadian coins including loonie& toonie coins.

2. Wipe clean for reuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment